Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The seven week itch

No, not the seven year itch, the seven week itch. This has been the week, three times now, that the wheels have figuratively fallen off the triathlon wagon. After great starts in the 2005, 2006, and 2007 early seasons, and all sorts of lofty goals of Ironman Arizona, Vineman, etc., the seventh week of my training has been nothing short of abysmal. Week Seven has stopped my "comeback" dead in it's tracks three times now. My previous blog entry- what would prove to be my last blog entry for nearly two years- demonstrated exactly how quickly things could, and did, go south on me.

Why? I have no idea, but I'm determined not to let it happen this time. Of course, work is conspiring against me. After a three week work shutdown that saw some remarkably consistent training despite the holidays, including an unprecedented 17+ hour training week last week, I'm now completely immersed in learning a new job in two weeks before my current manager takes her early retirement package and rolls off into the sunset. And it's quarter-end too.

So, the goal for this week is to just survive to train another week. Some weeks the training just seems to flow. I know that this will not be one of those weeks. Despite starting off the week in remarkable fashion with a nice 8 mile run yesterday in gorgeous 70 degree weather I have no goals for this week beyond sqeezing in some training whenever and wherever I can, and not imploding. again. I know that this time will be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment